Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Work will make you free

Two work-related items to report on.

1) JAW Fan has informed me that he will be working on Christmas Eve. This not solely during the day of Dec. 24, but Christmas Eve itself, i.e. the evening hours when Santa is packing his sleigh, JAW Fan will be at work. Nice, eh? In case it is not clear, he did not volunteer for this mission. He is also working Christmas Day. But he has Boxing Day off, so at least he can shop for sales!

2) There is a new manager in my organization. He is not my manager, thankfully. He has informed his staff, who are numerous, that the hierarchy of his department is not being respected, and from now on, superiors must be addressed as "Mr." or "Mrs." This has been met with incredulity and mirth. That's Mr. Asshole to you, underling.

Afterthought to JAW Fan: Don't they have any Jewish, Muslim or Hindu employees they could ask to hold the fort for 2 days? You know, non-Christmas-celebrating people. I mean, gawd, even our Cairo office closes on Dec. 25.

6 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

mr and mrs slave drivers

Susieq said...

Mr and Mrs??? Which century is this guy from? At least he's not expecting to be called Sir I suppose.
As for working over Xmas, well, sod that I say!!!! Although our office is open to 5pm on Xmas Eve, but with very few people - most of us we get to go home at lunchtime. I remember one Xmas Eve being really organised for the next day and spending Xmas Eve afternoon at the beach.....

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

The manager who wants Mr. and Mrs. is former US military. I guess his staff should be happy they don't have to salute.

Anonymous said...

Having worked in retail and as an on-call computer tech, I was always amazed when I didn’t have to work over the holidays. I remember one Xmas day when a certain restaurant (not mentioning any names but think of a steak place on Côte de Liesse) paged me 4 or 5 times – and was expecting me to show up over a very trivial matter.

At the store where I currently toil we recently hired a forty-something man to do security. On his first day he was addressing female staff members as ‘dear’ and ‘honey’ and making sexist jokes. He didn’t last two days…

I blame Mad Men for the revival of these old-school notions about work and co-worker interaction. Why do we get all of the negative aspects and none of the drinking?


"It is the longing for happiness that is potentially radical, while the morality of sacrifice is an age-old weapon of rulers." - Ellen Willis


JD

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Did you see today's story about the male managers rating the women employees at PriceWaterhouse in Dublin? Mad Men rules! Classy.

Anonymous said...

Mmm – interesting.

I also blame Gordon Ramsay – success in the workplace (and fame!) is linked to treating people like garbage…

JD