Sunday, October 31, 2010

Back from Sin City

Weird City is more like it. What a strange, strange place Las Vegas is. The hotels are everything I'd imagined they'd be. Yes, everything is Over The Top. Many, many old fat white people. Riding scooters.


No, I didn't end up playing blackjack. It was a $15 minimum bet. $15! Anyone who knows me knows I don't risk $15 on one shot. I did end up losing about $45 on slots over the course of the trip. But that's 4 days worth of slot machine fun at the equivalent of 3 losing blackjack hands. I even played slots at the airport. Every airport should have slot machines in the depature area. They sure make the time pass quickly.


Two photos to begin. This is Barry Manilow's Copacabana jacket on display in the lobby of the Paris hotel, where he was the headliner. And the other pic IS the lobby of the Paris hotel. It's a reproduction of fuckin' Versailles, for gawd's sake. Unreal.




6 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

some shirt!!

Susieq said...

I think Versailles has a bit more class, don't you? $15 minimum bet? no way!!!! Glad you didn't lose too much money. Las V is one of the few places in the USA I would like to visit, if only to see if its as weird as I think it might be.

By the way, can anyone explain why they build copies of everything in Las V? Is it so Americans can go there without actually going there? ie Versailles.

Anonymous said...

That was prudent - because after all, if you'd played and lost twice that would have been 30 dollars! I mean, that's admission to 3 movies, and of course it's more likely you'll be back in Vegas before you see 3 more movies...

SusieQ - there was a news report during the last presidential election that said fewer Americans have passports than in any other first world country. Hence the need to build replicas. My favorite was the pyramid-shaped Excalibur hotel which had, just like the real pyramids along the Nile, a Star Trek simulator ride inside.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Just to clarify, the pyramid shaped hotel is the Luxor. It also has a sphinx in front.
Excalibur is the Arthurian Legend Hotel.
I agree that they build replicas so that Americans can "see" these places without ever having to leave the USA. My sister kept calling it Las Fake-us. Everyone should see it once. It was even more over-the-top than I had anticipated.

Anonymous said...

I got tripped up on names, because I actually stayed at Excalibur and was able to gaze next door at Luxor.

That was my impression - it was actually more over-the-top than I expected.

Susieq said...

Thanks for the explanations - it was as I thought. I believe a lot of those Americans without passports are politicians, which is even sadder.
Las V definately on the must visit list....