Monday, September 03, 2012

It's Election Eve

...and all through the province, federalists are cringing.

I remember the provincial election of 30 November 1998. I had just bought my house, and my landlord at the time said "why would buy a house when the separatists are getting back in? Your house will be worth nothing."  Well, they did get back in that night. That night my father had the major, major stroke that eventually killed him. Our family's gallows humour has always said that is was the re-election of the PQ that did him in. One of the last things my father did was vote. Against the PQ.

Thirteen years later, I am still in my crumbling house. Anyway, the separatists came and went and now we are coming to the end of the nine-year rule of Ti-Jean Federalist. It's been quiet for 9 years. We're all going to have to get back into "PQ Mode". Sigh. It will be interesting to watch how Harper deals with PQ provocation. It should be ugly. I'm already tired.

My friend the Persian, now a Canadian citizen,  will be voting in his first provincial election. He asked me if there was a way to vote against someone. I said, no, you can only check one name for the person you want. But he said he wanted a ballot that would say, I'm okay with this guy, or this guy, or this guy, but definitely NOT that guy. And the guy with the most negative ballots would be guaranteed to be not elected. Apparently, this is how class elections worked in his high school. I thought, hmm, negative voting. This would be a great way to make sure the biggest pain in the ass does not get in. I like it.

6 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

we in the roc hold our collective tete carree breath

Anonymous said...

I have no clue as to how to vote...

I will not be voting PQ.

Liberals will never win in my area, anyway.

Do I vote CAQ in hopes that they win in my sector, thereby reducing one PQ seat?

Will my vote even matter?

I think I should proceed as follows: check TV Guide, if there's something good on TV...don't even bother to vote.

Does a documentary on elastic bands count as good television?

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

VOTE..or else...
Are you in the riding with the mustache lady candidate?

cityofmushrooms said...

JAW fan: for the love of Farrah, you've got to VOTE!

Anonymous said...

ostuy, you'd better vote, calisse. Mrs. A.

Anonymous said...

Geez!!! I was kidding, there is no documentary about elastic bands on TV.

I will be voting...ironically, for someone that I don't really want to win.

JAW fan