Monday, March 14, 2011

Weekend Round-up

Looks like winter may be over, or at least, over-ish. Cautious optimism here.

I saw Rango on Saturday. What is the limit of references for adults that a kids movie can have before it goes too far? In Rango, the mayor of the village is, essentially, John Huston's character in Chinatown (minus the incest, thankfully). One thing I learnt: forget about kids getting that, even their parents are too young to get it.

When the mayor delivers the line about "controlling the water", I leaned over to Smoothie and asked if he recognized that line from Chinatown, and he told me he's never seen it. So who is that reference for? The grandparents of the kids seeing the movie? The great aunts?

In other Smoothie news, on Friday evening I went to a new restaurant with a friend from work. We definitely felt like we were the oldest folks there. Later I told Smoothie about it, he said he had been there, and the crowd was too old. I said really? Everyone I saw was in their 30s and he said exactly, it's an older crowd.

50 is the new 30! (Or so the Globe & Mail Style Section told me last week.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This doesn't have to do with that, but I thought I'd share:

http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/March/potatochipday.htm

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

In Nanuk's household, EVERY DAY is potato chip day! Celebrate!

cityofmushrooms said...

and just think: "older crowd" used to mean JAZZ FANS...