Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Smoking on Mad Men

Betty has always been completely alien to me as a mother. But last night for the first time in 6 seasons, Betty did something my own mother once did. She offered her teen-aged daughter a cigarette, saying she would rather have her smoking in front of her than behind her back.

Sally accepted the smoke; I did not.

Now I wonder if my mother would have been happy to have someone to smoke with. Never thought of it that way before...  my mom, my smoking buddy? Did my sister and I both let our mother down by never taking up smoking?  My mom smoked for only a couple more years after that, so maybe she gave it up because she didn't have a daughter to smoke with.

2 comments:

mshrms said...

I loved that scene

Brian Busby said...

Now you've got me thinking that I failed in being my mother's church buddy.